Monday, February 13, 2023

Nishkama Karma

Written by Kruthik P S , Creative Empowerment Batch 3 

  • Karmanye vadhikaraste 
  • Ma Phaleshu Kadachana,
  • Ma Karma Phala Hetur Bhur 
  • Ma Te Sango Stv Akarmani

 The translation of the above verse “You have every right to work but not expecting the fruits out of it. Let the focus be not on the fruits and never be inactive”, this verse perhaps summarizes the torchbearer of my family and a strong pillar my Amma. 

 Born during the INDO-Pak war era to a Govt. health officer K. S. Gopala Rao and Komala Bai as a 3rd child to the family in Kolar. Family moved from Kolar to Chikmagalur for the next few years followed by a permanent shift to Bangalore.

Schooling days:

  • -       Until 5th grade: Chikmagalur Kote School, Chikmagalur
  • -       5th and 6th grade: Madhuri Primary School, Bangalore
  • -       7th till degree 1st year: Bharatiya Samskruthi Vidyapeeta, Bangalore
  • -       Senior Kannada and English shorthand: Keshava Institute, Bangalore

 Best known about Amma is her professional career which started very early for her as early as when she was 19, still she remembers how Taata(her dad) used to stay at the corridor waiting for her to finish the work and pick her up after the work. Getting a Government job as early as 19 years with others in the family always showed how talented and hardworking she is. Soon things changed when Amma  got married when she was 23 and became a mother at 24.

As a 25 year old which I am currently, I cannot even imagine how she managed to balance the family with a child given the fact that it was majorly a patriarchal society which was existing. She always remembers how hard it was for her during those days, constantly being pressured by the family to be a homemaker yet she did not leave her job. This perhaps is the only reason why we are currently living a happy peaceful life not worried much monetarily.

They say for a sculptor to form its shape it takes a lot of beating and a similar instance happened with her as she had an miscarriage after my elder brother's birth. Between all these as a miracle literally miracle I was born, the toughest were those pregnancy days for her when she had to undergo a lot of pain mentally and underwent a lot of medical treatment. Her eyes often become wet when I ask her to share about those pregnancy days. She never believed that I would be born as a normal child with a lot of prayers and a lot of blessings. The baby was normal, she recalls.

Perhaps the next pebble in her shoe was when we built a house, a huge financial crunch started followed by Dad’s Jaundice. Even though I was witnessing these things, I wasn't even aware of these things as I was barely a 5-7 years old child yet there are some wild memories for me that reminds me of those days. I used to enjoy the pillion seat of my brother’s bicycle which was the only vehicle we had, both my dad and mother never knew how to drive. My brother's bicycle was more or less like family’s blessing. Apart from this there aren't any more raw memories for me. She remembers those days as the toughest phase financially as she almost became the lone beard winner for the family as my dad lost his job for a brief period during that tenure.


 

I know that Amma cooks extremely well and her dishes are perhaps the best. This talent of hers also helped her to gain some extra income that helped us to overcome the financial crunch. She started to sell pickles and instant powders which also became best selling items for a brief period at some condiments and small stores.

The best part about Amma is that she is very possessive about her family. She always does ensure that we as children get the best and she never compromises anything when it comes to her family. She always wants her children to be the best. Amma was always worried that I would not be good at studies and was always tense about that up until graduation. I still remember how she taught me Kannada which perhaps was the toughest for me. Academically also I wasn’t that bright a student as my brother was which made her worrisome. Looking back at my progress today she is definitely proud of how I progressed over the years 

Inching closer to her retirement I only wish her that she gets to travel a lot within India, Europe and many more… I also hope that she makes up for all the small thrills which she gave up on due to the work taking care of our exams etc… and more importantly AANE(aarogya nemmadi;health and peace).

Looking back at her journey embraces me the importance of women in a family more importantly women being independent. We all call it women empowerment these days but I would say it's the women’s will and commitment, she always has lived as an example of commitment, commitment to work, to family. For her life was her family and family was her life. Any small disturbance to family meant a disturbance to her life. She constantly reminds me about the great value system that she has left on me as a person, not doing anything for granted and giving the best at each small work which we do are some small examples. She is a true believer of “Nishkama Karma” which means do deeds without any fruits of reward.


No comments:

Post a Comment