Friday, October 18, 2013

My Inspiration ...


Context : Written by Umme Nazma, Christ University, Certificate Course History of Scientific Discoveries -2013

   Everybody has an influential person in their lives. For me, it is my grandmother!. She is a loving, caring, brave, sociable and anxious in the family. She is more than a grandmother to all children in the family. I call her ‘Dadu’ while everyone calls her ‘Dadi’. She lives with my uncle in native place. I miss her, because she taught more experiences to me and these have changed many things in my mind. I am not sure if I will be successful in delivering this biography effectively.

My grandmother, Sara, was born and brought up in a small village called Hungund in 1962. Her actual date of birth remains unknown. She is the daughter of Husain Saab, a farmer and Noorani, a traditional housewife. She is the third child among five siblings. Her family was a middle class one of those days. She is the third child among five siblings. She did her schooling till class V. She says, she was the most intelligent little girl at home.

At the age of 15, she was married to Ibrahim, a driver. The most interesting part is that she was married to a person who stays right in the next street. This always haunted me, ‘Was it a love marriage?’ No, it was not. She had a tough life after marriage. She lost her man after having four children. This is one of the reasons for her strong and brave attitude. She gave the maximum education she could to her children. The attitude I like the most, she never bothers what people say.

My grandmother has taught more experiences to me. She is a good grandmother because she knows how to take care of people. For example, there was a sick uncle in the neighborhood. He was completely down on his energy after suffering from fever for almost a week. There was nobody at his home to take care of. She sent healthy food to him through me. Finally, after two days I felt he was the healthiest person in the lane. This comforted the healthy uncle. From this I learned how to help weak and ill people.

Another incident which makes me love her so much. I had been to my native without my parents. Unfortunately, I fell ill. The reason- Food Poisoning. She looked after me so well, that I was alright within a day. She comforted me. She never made me realize, my mum is not around me. I return back home and say my mother,” Ma, I am sure I would take 1 week to get well under your care’.

My grandmother has many roles in my life. She is like a best friend, who shares most interesting stories with me. She is a rigorous teacher. She has passed much knowledge from her experiences to me. She is my cooking teacher too. I have learnt recipes of the yummy food she cooked. Sometimes, she is a strict grandma.

She is still a hard-working person. She doesn’t like being idle. When her siblings had a chit-chat, she would help her mother. Even now, she keeps cleaning stuff. When we kids sit idle, she says ‘If we were like you people, we would never come up in lives.’ Interestingly, we do good things, she says, ‘You will come up in life.’

She is a spiritual lady. Though, she is not into praying for hours and hours, she has a positive attitude, strength within her. I have heard many people tried bringing her down in life. For instance, when she was into educating her children they would say,”How will a widow get her children educated?”. And yes, she proved them wrong!

She has taught us many wonderful things in life. I would like to put in a few here.

    Be a long-life learner.

    Do not be negative and critical in life.

    Do not be self obsessed. Think of your family, relatives and community.

    Respect elders, forgive younger.

    Nothing is impossible. You must just be brave enough for your commitment. And many more.

She is a great woman. She plays an important role in my life. Furthermore, I believe that I do not forget her teachings forever, and I feel very happy to live with my grandmother.

No comments:

Post a Comment