Friday, October 18, 2013

Puri Aloo


Context : Written By Shalini Nagarajan, Christ University, Certificate Course History of Scientific Discoveries -2013

Puri Aloo. That’s what enticed my grandfather into joining the Indian Army. At Chennai in 1949, pursuing a degree in Economics Honours, he dropped any ambitions towards bureaucracy and the civil service towards the equally prestigious Armed Forces only because the recruitment centre held a placard outside offering “Free Puri Aloo” to the entrants.
Born in May 1928, Apapa as I call him grew up at Arani, a small town in Tamil Nadu. He has often told us of the days his school fees would hardly cover Rs.5 a year. Today you won’t get a decent candy bar for the same amount. To him I attribute my learning of math tables, basic fundamentals of English paragraph writing, my penchant for knowing more about the world and being a simple human being. Apapa is warm, loving, firm and straightforward. He has a way of accepting whatever issue may come his way with no more than a shrug. His deep faith still carries him through what life has to offer.
Time with my grandfather over the years of my childhood has only made my respect and love for him grow with each passing memory. A man of few words, he is able to garner much affection from even a person he may have met for a few minutes. Ever since I have known my paternal grandparents, they have lived in Pondicherry. The people of that little French-style community all seem to be acquainted very closely indeed with them. Their beautiful home will undoubtedly have a visitor almost every day of the week, considering their close-knit lifestyles and utmost care for each other. Pondicherry is the epitome of peace, love and patience to my mind only because of the image my grandparents have created through their revered presence in the town. As I have noticed, the younger folk even consider their blessings as auspicious and holy, gracing their lives with good luck and good spirit.
Apapa has been an avid bridge-player ever since he took to retirement. This is the one game he can play day or night, rain or shine, as long as he has his quorum! Members of the family try their best to take time out from their daily schedules just to play a hand of bridge with him, to satisfy his need of exercising brain power. The game keeps him alert and away from the tendency to be languid. I must also mention how he got me interested in common card games like Rummy and Memory although he kept me away from bridge, thinking I’d get distracted from academics and want to play the game all day, just like him.
Latest additions to the family have given utmost joy to Apapa, who is now a great grandfather. To see him take in the innocence of childhood with a smile on his face and revel in the pride of being the head of such a large, devoted and happy family is overwhelming. He has given each of us so many fond memories that are difficult to put down on paper, but are bright and clear in terms of emotional sentiments. My grandfather, who is now 85years old, has led a life so far of triumph, devotion, pride, strife, honour and deeply-ingrained integrity. Through his years, his successive generations have gathered many lessons of value and are proud of having been led by his guidance.
Father of three, grandfather of five, great grandfather of two, friend of countless individuals, guide to several more, this remarkable man has touched all our lives and made us better for the future we are yet to encounter. I pray for his continued good health so he may live hale and hearty, for he is the bind and the strength that made us know no boundaries.

No comments:

Post a Comment