Monday, April 18, 2022

Peramma

 Written by Shine Raju Kappil

 Creative Empowerment Course - Assignment (Essay) for Batch 2, 2022

 There were a number of personalities that came into my mind when Jibrael sir suggested us to write an essay on inspirations that we individually have received for leading an effective living. This included my relatives, friends and many more from whom I learned something or the other. Among these, I decided to write about my aunt whom I call as Peramma. She was not just an inspiration for me alone, but also for her children and her siblings including my mother. This is a tribute to my aunt who inspired us to do their best in their life, no matter in what family environment or work environment we are in.

 My aunt is the eldest child of my grandparents who were settled in Parathode, Idukki. Since the family had their own lands, they were into traditional activities such as agriculture and cattle farming. Most of the relatives and neighbors thought that my aunt would end up as a housewife. This was a common trend during those days especially in the high ranges of central Kerala. I hope many of you might heard or experienced the plight of girl children during those periods. Being the eldest child in the family, she had to take care of the house and siblings when the parents go for farming activities. Along with all these duties and responsibilities, she managed to complete her basic education from the nearest school.

Once she completed the basic education, she could have either get married and enter into a family life. This was the common practice and this is something the family and others expected too. But by seeing the difficulties faced by her parents as farmers, she decided to go for some professional courses and stood back from what her peer groups have done. She reached Pune with the help of her aunt and enrolled for GNM nursing. Pune was a new world and a different experience to her. But she tried her best to adjust with the new life with her strong will power. She completed her course and joined the same hospital as a staff nurse to complete the bond period. During these tough periods, she guided her siblings to enter into some professional jobs so that they get some recognition in their family. She succeeded in bringing both of her siblings to Pune and directed them to join for professional courses. My younger aunt has joined in Pune university to pursue librarian course and my mother decided to join for nursing. In addition, she tried to help the family by sending the money that she saved by avoiding many things.

After a while, she somehow got a job in Kalawati Hospital, which is owned by the Central government in Delhi. During the initial periods, the salary was too low and she was finding it difficult to manage expenses. She was new to the capital city and had to do the extra workloads and adjust to the extreme climate in Delhi. She used to walk to the hospital which is quite far from her hostel. She took good care of her patients and due to her commitment and sincerity, she got various promotions and recognitions.

Meanwhile, she got married to a school teacher and had given birth to two sons. Though her responsibilities have increased after marriage, she made sure to give the best care to her patients. She was successful in guiding her sons and both of them have reached to good positions. She is considered as a role model to me because she has tried to do her best as a daughter, elder sister, nurse, mother, aunt etc. I often get motivated by remembering one of her statements i.e. “Do the best you can, rest the God will take care of”.

 Note: I haven’t mentioned the name of my aunt as she is not interested to share the details. She has also received certain awards for her service which I heard from my mother and other relatives but not mentioned here as my aunt has never said to us. I think she believes in the ideology that recognitions are not meant for boasting around relatives or friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment