Monday, April 18, 2022

The backbone of my life

Written by Alwin Joseph, Creative Empowerment Batch 2 , 2022

This story is about my father, my role model - born in 1964 to a farmer’s family in Kannur, who had migrated from southern Kerala to find suitable land for cultivation and better livelihood.  He is the 3rd son of the family, which focuses on agriculture and small business. Their family consists of his grandfather, grandmother, parents and siblings. Along with the family members, he also began his childhood helping his father in farming and business. Staying as a helping hand for his parents in agriculture and business, he has completed his primary education and took up a technical course in electronics. After completing the course, he started helping his father in agriculture and business. Later, he moved abroad in search of job opportunities after his marriage.

But unfortunately, things did not go as he planned; he had to drop his abroad plans and come back to India. Coming back to India, he started to help his parents and try for other jobs, but finally, he landed entirely in agriculture. The nuclear family concept came into his father’s mind, and he and his brothers all are sent to different places to start a new life.

This was a tough time, as he had to start everything from the start; he was sent to an area that was yet to be developed; the road, medical or travel facilities of that time were not designed as we see now for each need he has to travel kilometres primarily by walk and jeep services. The only person to support him was my mother; together, they started a new life for me as a small child. Starting with a small field of rubber, he expanded agriculture into mixed farming. We have most of the crops to meet his needs and earn a living along with cattle. He has spent his days and nights building up the family and setting up the field for agriculture.

He has a vast story of life to tell me about how he has travelled, his places, and his troubles. He always had big plans for me but never forced me into anything. Being very supportive, he never said the word “NO” to me. Always he tried to find a way to meet my needs. For this reason and to give me the better of all available, he put me into a good school nearby for better education and later in the best colleges. He always motivates me to take up this to help me be a better person. He always has one intention that he always tells me to keep in mind that he never expected me to be in any situation where he suffered, like how he has travelled.

A lot more to tell… a lot more to write… But I want to end this small write up about my backbone with his motivating words… “God sees everything, and he has plans, don’t do anything that is not good and never do anything that will drive God away from me. Be helpful and supportive of all the people who are in need. Never harm anyone” ...!

No comments:

Post a Comment