Wednesday, March 27, 2019

My Grandfather

Written by Sakshi Goyal
Leadership Open Elective taught by Jibrael Jos
Nov 2018 at Christ University


I belong to a typical marwadi family with conservative thinking and restricted background. My grandfather has always been strict with his values, ideas and actions. He is 84 years old. He has 6 children, 5 daughters and 1 son.

My grandfather has always been a person of his words. At his 70s he was the most energetic, high spirited person I have known. It saddens me when I see a completely different person now. Now when he is there and lies on bed all day and seeing him that way pinches me every single day. He is someone who has never lost hope. He has always pushed himself to his limits, he always believed in doing his work on his own, but now when he has to ask someone to drink water also, it brings tears in my eyes to see him this way. It's painful to see that just an injury can change so much in a person's life that he is so helpless now and all he wishes is to not suffer this way.

He has always been a classic example of idolism. I try to draw inspiration from him in every little or big thing. His most unique quality is his humorous nature and always full of surprises. Self-made and independent ship is something he always aced and I shall aspire a bit of the same.

Care, concern and respect are his attributes and irrespective of belonging to the old era he still accommodates high level of courtesy for women in the household. And from the kind of family environment I come from, I have never seen a father-in-law respect honor and understand his daughters-in-law than any other family member. His concern for the people around him and away is something everyone in the family talks about.

He is truly an inspiration for me for the people he is and I just hope that I can be the same, as it will be a tribute for him from my side.

No comments:

Post a Comment